How to Apply
Students can apply to the Psychology Ph.D. program through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences portal.
In addition to completing the online application form, prospective students must submit the following materials below. Because our PhD program is fundamentally a research program, successful applicants must demonstrate a record of scholarly research experience and should highlight their research-related strengths, interests, and goals. Following best practices, we do not apply cutoffs when evaluating GRE or other standardized scores. Admissions materials are evaluated holistically by members of the department.
- Post-secondary transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- A resume or CV
- A writing sample, which should be academic in nature. The applicant must be the sole author.
- GRE General Test scores* (Psychology Subject Test scores are optional). Scores must be submitted directly from ETS and must be dated no more than 5 years prior to the date of matriculation.
- English proficiency scores (TOEFL or IELTS) for non-native English speakers. Scores must be dated no more than 2 years prior to the date of matriculation. International applicants who have earned a post-secondary degree from an accredited college or university for which the primary language of instruction is English are not required to provide English proficiency scores.
- An application fee ($90)
Reducing barriers to application
The Department is committed to reducing barriers to graduate school application. The following options are available to reduce potential financial and logistical barriers to applicants:
- Application fee waivers. Students for whom the $90 application fee is prohibitive may send a brief email to the Graduate Program co-directors. The co-directors will then determine whether to recommend that the application fee be waived.
- Use of the GRE Fee Reduction Program. Students for whom the costs of taking the GRE and submitting GRE scores pose barriers to applying should see ETS’s GRE Fee Reduction Program for possible reductions in fees.
- Submission of unofficial transcripts. Applicants may directly submit unofficial transcripts with their application, rather than requesting official transcripts be submitted by their institution. Transcripts must be retrieved from applicants’ institutions and must include the institution name, years of matriculation, degree(s) earned, and graduation date. Please do not upload screenshots of a transcript.
- Direct payment of travel costs during interview visits. For the subset of applicants invited to visit campus for an interview, the department will pay air or rail travel costs directly, rather than requiring applicants to submit documents for reimbursement.